I love having guests in the summer, so I am getting ready and cleaning up the guest room to make their stay fabulous!
The project in question is updating the bureau (far left with flowers on it) in our guest room. This is a 16 year-old picture of what the guest room used to look like when we first bought the house. My stylish wagon wheel lights are finally gone!
The bureau itself is in good shape, but the color was a dull yellow/gray and I never got around to fixing it.
This is the color up close…..
I decided to spray a primer on the bureau before painting it. I picked a day when the wind was blowing 20 mph – the wind was NOT my friend!
I had to move the bureau under a tree and behind a building and it still didn’t help…
See on the right? The paint kept getting blown on me, not the bureau! Next step, white BEHR paint. I will say here that this was my first time using BEHR paint and I was not pleased. Sorry Home Depot. It did not cover well, left visible brush marks and needed two thick coats to cover even though it allegedly had primer in it. I still forged ahead and used it because I was too lazy to buy more paint, but will not get it again.
First coat of white paint going on. I did buy ADORABLE new knobs for the bureau, but couldn’t get the old ones off! The screws were stripped and some of the knobs were firmly painted on. My husband and I spent an hour wrestling with these stupid knobs until I gave up and resigned myself to painting them white.
Here it is back in the room. I think it looks really boring with the white knobs, so I am going to paint them another color.
I have leftover yellow paint from another project, so that’s what they’re going to be! I’ve already spilled paint on the floor and my clothes. Time to wrap this project up.
Better. The guest room is still in set up/clean up mode – finished soon!
DONE! Fresh drawer liners are in all the drawers and I am having a glass top cut for the bureau to spruce it up a little.
Looks pretty in the room and was actually a very easy fix!
the wry home